Lille is a medium-sized city in the Nord-Pas de Calais region of northern France with a very large student population. This city has a strong industrial background, but, after some difficult years, it is now known throughout France for its handsome city centre and its very active cultural life.
- Lille is a large city in Northern France
- In 2006 it had an etsimated population of 226,000
- It covers an area of some 15.25 sq miles
- It was founded in 640 as City of “L’Isle”
- Lille was elected European Capital of Culture in 2004